The steps I followed are:
- Uninstall PostgreSQL
- Delete the postgres user if it still exists.
net user postgres /delete
- Create the postgres user with a password you can remember
net user /add postgres <password>
- Add the postgres user to the Administrators group
net localgroup administrators postgres /add
- Add the postgres user to the Power Users group
net localgroup "power users" postgres /add
- Run a command window as the postgres user
runas /user:postgres cmd.exe
- Run the install file from within the command window.
This should run the installation successfully.
Remove the postgres user from the Administrators group.
net localgroup administrators postgres /delete